“Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.” 2 Peter 3:11-12
Stephen Covey wrote a massive 20th century bestseller called ‘7 Habits of Highly Successful People’. The third habit he identifies is ‘Begin with the End in Mind’. All great missions, all great teams start and build from here.
The Bible repeatedly talks about the end and asks us to live in light of it. That end includes coming judgment, the destruction of this world, the ushering in of another better one, and Christ’s catalytic return to set this brand new end in motion.
God’s Word in 2 Peter 3:11-14 gives us a few pointers as to what living with the end in mind should look like. Here’s the picture:
- LIVING HOLY. This does not mean living perfect. It means living ‘set apart’ for special service to our Master. It means living for Him.
- LIVING GODLY. This means living like Jesus, imitating Him, patterning ‘your game’ after His. It means living like Him.
- LOOKING FORWARD. This means anticipating His return – vigilant, ready, hopeful and hope-filled. It means living in the now but with an eye on eternity. It means living with Him always in view.
- GETTING BUSY. This means seizing and maximizing moments, pushing the tempo, making possessions matter and each day a masterpiece. It means ‘speeding His return’ by not being spiritually lazy, casual, or indifferent. It means working hard for what matters most.
- BEING BLAMELESS. This means fighting off sin and receiving forgiveness when you do. It means living spotless before God and others, cleaning up the relational messes you make. It means keeping yourself clean.
- EXPERIENCING PEACE. This means forging a great relationship with God and maintaining it. It means close friendship, committed to being on great terms with Him consistently.
May I ask… How well are you living with the end in mind? Of the six pointers scripture mentions here, where could you use some tightening up?
LORD, thank you for making the end game clear and showing us how to live in light of this. You don’t leave us guessing on either front. All other religions and worldviews do. I love You for this!
Keep future, eternal realities ever before me. Don’t let me get numb to this. I want to live with the end in mind…just like Jesus. Spirit of God, help me make this habit. For Your glory and my joy and peace. Amen
Stand for truth.
Live for eternity.